Saturday, March 19, 2016

Not a rant.

"hexagon" 9"x 12" oil pastel and graphite on paper 
It can't all be about politics . . . I'm an artist, a creator. Most of my life I've played 'cello. I started before first grade and still play today, though I don't get to play as much as I used to and it's nearly always just for myself. In high school I took an art class on a whim and at the end of the year the teacher put his elbows down on the desk I was working on, looked at me and stated plainly, "You're coming back next Fall, right." It wasn't a question.

Then I took a photography class, "old school" with all hand processing and a K1000 (I borrowed my dad's so I didn't have to share one of the school's Pentax cameras with a classmate.) I spent a semester processing film and making prints in a darkroom. I mixed chemicals, I pushed limits on the enlarger, had great fun.

I never thought of my photography as an art form unto itself until after college. It was always a tool toward my drawing work. 
"Chuck Taylors" 32" x 24" graphite on paper
By the way, if you know what to look for, you can find this on-line still, from my first ANCIENT website, an archived (and now almost defunct) part of the Internet, again from the 1900's.

The background on this blog right now is another work, a collage I did as part of a series for a design class in college. I'm not sure if I like it yet, too "busy" I think. But it's there for now.

I'm still figuring out all this Blogger stuff works and these posts are more or less me playing it by ear, pushing the buttons, watching what happens, the reactions. Apparently you can't post comments, but on my side it looks like you can, or at least I can. Maybe you need a Google+ profile first? I'll work on that.

Or, maybe I won't. I don't want nasty comments on my blog, legitimate or not.

Is "art form" one word or two?

No comments:

Post a Comment